Home School Program
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary offers programming for home school students! Whether you have always been home schooled or are trying it out this year, we would love for you to join us once a month for some outdoor fun!
About the Program:
- Students Kindergarten through 12th grade are welcome to participate in our Home School Program. Kindergartners must be 5 years old by September 1, 2020.
- Each month we will explore a different topic through games, hikes, crafts, animal encounters, and more! The topics can be found listed below and on the registration form.
- We are offering classes on the second and third Thursday of each month.
- In order to keep group sizes small (max of 15 students per group), we are offering two different time slots: Morning (10:00am-12:00pm) and Afternoon (1:00pm-3:00pm). You cannot sign up your child for both time slots within the same month.
- Pre-Registration is required. You can find the registration form below, or you can pick one up in the Ohio Bird Sanctuary Visitor Center.
- Parent Policy: To promote socialization and maximum participation, we have always encouraged parents to leave their children in the care of the OBS staff during the Home School Program. This year especially, we cannot allow parents & additional siblings to stay for the program due to having to reduce class sizes in order to keep everyone safe. Thank you for your trust and understanding.
- Each lesson is taught by trained outdoor educators who are certified through Project WILD. Learn more about Project WILD here.
- See below for our COVID-19 Home School Program Policy.
2020-2021 Dates and Topics
*Spots are filling up fast! If you wish to sign your child up for one of the home school classes, check the availability below. You can also call the Sanctuary to check availability before dropping off or mailing in your form.*
Fall Session: Autumn Adventures
September 10: Autumn Adaptations (Full in Morning & Afternoon)
September 17: Autumn Adaptations (Full in Morning & Afternoon)
October 8: Bats (Full in Morning & Afternoon)
October 15: Bats (Full in Morning & Afternoon)
November 12: Apple Science (Full in Morning & Afternoon)
November 19: Apple Science (Full in Morning & Afternoon)
January 21: Winter Survival Skills (Full in Afternoon)
February 11: Nature Woodworking (Full in Afternoon)
February 18: Nature Woodworking (Full in Afternoon)
Spring Session: Amazing Animals
April 8: Animal Fool's Day (Full in Morning & Afternoon)
April 15: Animal Fool’s Day
May 13: Animal Olympics (Full in Afternoon)
May 20: Animal Olympics (Full in Morning)
Click here for the Registration Form:
Members: $10/Class or $75 for all 9 classes
Non-members: $12/class or $90 for all 9 classes
(Payment and registration forms may be mailed in or dropped off at the Sanctuary.
Credit cards can be accepted in person or over the phone.)
COVID-19 Home School Program Policy
This policy was put in place on July 30, 2020. It is subject to change based on updates given by the Governor or Ohio Department of Health.
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary will be operating the 2020-2021 Home School Program following the plan outlined below:
● Home School Programs will have a maximum group size of fifteen (15) students.
● Weather permitting, we will be spending the majority of the program time outside. (Exceptions include extreme weather events, bathroom breaks, hand washing, etc.)
● Face masks are optional for students. Staff will wear masks when inside and cannot be 6ft from the students.
● Surfaces within the Education Building will be cleaned and sanitized after each program.
Student Drop-Off Plan
● When dropping your child off, you should come to the parking lot by the Education Building. Follow the signs directing you to drop-off location. Parents should remain in the car unless the student needs assistance getting out of the car.
● An OBS staff member will greet cars and check the student's temperature using a touchless thermometer. (If any child has a fever of 100 degrees or higher, they may not stay for the program)
● The student will then go in the Education Building to drop off any personal belongings and wash their hands.
During the Day
● Unless weather deems it unsafe, the Home School Programs will take place almost entirely outside.
● Each student will have a designated spot to put their personal items that is separate from others.
● If the program includes an edible activity, staff will wear gloves when handling food items.
● During the program, students will be encouraged to wash hands or use hand sanitizer when arriving, after returning inside from outside play, after going to the bathroom, after touching animals, and prior to eating (if applicable for a certain program).
Student Pick-Up Plan
● When picking your child up, you should come to the parking lot by the Education Building. Similar to drop-off, parents should remain in the car unless the students needs assistance getting into the car.
● An OBS staff member will greet cars and confirm who you are picking up.
● Your child will then be dismissed to leave.