We are now accepting applications for the 2021 Winter Internships. We have two internship positions available: General Operations Internship & Education Internship.
Applications will be accepted through November 15, 2020. Interviews will take place in November, and a decision will be made by December 5, 2020.
Scan to bottom of page for application.
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary offers three internships each calendar year: a winter internship and two summer internships. All the Sanctuary's internships are currently funded through the Fran and Warren Rupp Fund at the Richland County Foundation.
OHIO BIRD SANCTUARY
GAIN HANDS ON EXPERIENCE AS A SUMMER BIRD CARE INTERN
MAKE AN IMPACT AS A SUMMER EDUCATION INTERN
WINTER INTERNSHIP POSITIONS OFFER OPPORTUNITIES TO LEARN ABOUT AVIAN HUSBANDRY, LEAD EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS, INTERACT WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC, AND BE INVOLVED IN CARING FOR THE FACILITY.
About the Internship:
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary’s Internship Program is intended for students currently enrolled in college who are pursuing a career in animal care and/or environmental education. Interns will gain valuable hands-on experience in caring for and handling raptors and educating the public about them. The internship is a paid position.
The winter internships takes place from January through March. New this winter, we are looking to hire two interns: a General Operations Intern and an Education Intern. The General Operations Intern will work approximately 12 hours every weekend assisting with bird care, property management, and greeting visitors. The Education Intern will assist with educational programs such as our Home School Program, Preschool Program, field trips, camps, tours, and more. The Education Intern will work approximately 12 hours and ideally will be available at least one weekday. Interviews for these positions are held during the month of November, and a decision is made the beginning of December.
The summer internships take place early to mid-May through mid-August. One position is as a Bird Care Intern and the other is an Education Intern. The Bird Care Intern will assist staff with daily husbandry (diet preparation, feeding, cleaning of enclosures, general upkeep of facilities and property), assist and inform visitors at the Sanctuary, give keeper talks, and assist with rehabilitation of injured birds. The Education Intern will primarily assist staff with facilitating camps, field trips, and other educational programs as well as assisting with bird care and visitors. Interviews for summer internships are held during the month of March, and a decision is made mid-March.
The birds do not take a day off, and neither do we! Therefore, this is a demanding internship that requires a reliable, flexible candidate.
- Current college student working towards a degree in a related field
- Professional, hard-working, highly motivated
- Positive attitude, team mentality, strong willingness to learn
- Able to balance multiple assignments successfully
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate commitment to working with children, adults, and wildlife
- Must be comfortable with diet preparation for carnivores
- Willing to engage in public speaking in the form of bird presentations
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions (extreme heat, rain, etc.)
- Able to be on your feet for 7+ hours (walking, standing, hiking, etc.) and be able to lift and carry 50 lbs
Required Application Materials
- Completed application
- Cover letter
- One letter of recommendation
- Two professional references