We are now accepting applications for our 2023 Summer Internships!
We have two internship positions available. Applications will be accepted through
March 11, 2023. More information and the application can be found below.
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary offers four internships each calendar year: two winter internships and two summer internships. All the Sanctuary's internships are currently funded through the Fran and Warren Rupp Fund at the Richland County Foundation.
OHIO BIRD SANCTUARY
GAIN HANDS ON EXPERIENCE AS A SUMMER BIRD CARE INTERN
MAKE AN IMPACT AS A SUMMER EDUCATION INTERN
WINTER INTERNSHIP POSITIONS OFFER OPPORTUNITIES TO LEARN ABOUT AVIAN HUSBANDRY, LEAD EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS, INTERACT WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC, AND BE INVOLVED IN CARING FOR THE FACILITY.
About the Internships:
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary’s Internship Program is for students currently enrolled in college who are pursuing a career in animal care, environmental education, natural resources management, or other related fields. Interns will gain valuable hands-on experience in caring for and handling raptors, educating the public about them, and managing a 90 acre nature preserve. The internships are a paid position.
The winter internships take place from February through April. Winter Interns will work approximately 12 hours every weekend, though weekday availability may be possible. The winter interns will assist with daily bird care, staffing of visitor center, education programming, data entry, and any job required to maintain the grounds and building. To see the 2023 job description, click the button below. Interviews for these positions are held during the months of November and December, and a decision will be made by December 21.
The summer internships take place early to mid-May through mid-August. We hire two summer interns: a Bird Care Intern and an Education Intern. The Bird Care Intern will assist staff with daily husbandry (diet preparation, feeding, cleaning of enclosures, general upkeep of facilities and property), assist and inform visitors at the Sanctuary, give keeper talks, and assist with rehabilitation of injured birds. The Education Intern will primarily assist staff with facilitating camps, field trips, and other educational programs as well as assisting with bird care and visitors. To view the 2023 job descriptions, click the buttons below. Interviews for summer internships are held in March, and a decision is made by mid April.
Our internships require reliable and flexible candidates! See the qualifications below.
- Current college student working towards a degree in a related field
- Professional, hard-working, highly motivated
- Positive attitude, team mentality, strong willingness to learn
- Able to balance multiple assignments successfully
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate commitment to working with children, adults, and wildlife
- Must be comfortable with diet preparation for carnivores
- Willing to engage in public speaking in the form of bird presentations
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions (extreme heat, rain, etc.)
- Able to be on your feet for 7+ hours (walking, standing, hiking, etc.) and be able to lift and carry 50 lbs
Required Application Materials
- Completed application
- Cover letter
- One letter of recommendation
- Two professional references