Current Volunteers Click Here
Thank you for your interest in becoming an Ohio Bird Sanctuary volunteer! Volunteers are essential to our daily operations and the overall success of the programs we offer. Our work would not be possible without the dedication and passion that the volunteers bring to our organization.
Please read through the volunteer positions listed below, then fill out our Volunteer Application (Located at the bottom of this page)
- Front Desk (Our Most Needed Position!) - Be the first person Ohio Bird Sanctuary guests see when they visit us! Greeting and talking with the guests is a key component to this position! Front desk volunteers work the cash register for admission fees, seed cups, and gift shop purchases. Advanced front desk volunteers can be trained to answer phone calls to give basic bird care assistance or take messages for staff members.
- Child Education Programs - Help out with camps, home school, field trips, or other education programs here at the Sanctuary! This volunteer position requires patience and energy to work with kids of all ages. You will not be leading these programs, just being an extra set of eyes and helping hands. Please note: This position does require a background check. *Please Note: This position does require a background check which will be further explained after training.
- Trails and Grounds Maintenance - Spend time out in nature as a trails and grounds maintenance volunteer! This position involves the maintenance of our 90 acre area of trails. Also, you can choose to stay near the visitor’s center by up-keeping the exterior of our buildings and the beautiful gardens.
- Indoor Facility Cleaning - If you enjoy cleaning, this position is for you! The Sanctuary is in constant need for a good scrubbing! This position involves basic cleaning (sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc) of our Education building and Visitor's Center.
- Special Events - We always need extra assistance for our special events, and you can be the extra set of hands! A few special events at the Sanctuary include Mohican Wildlife Weekend and Fall Family Festival. Each event has specific volunteer positions and those can be determined as the event gets closer.
- Volunteer Naturalist (New Position!) - Come educate the public in the songbird Aviary or with an animal artifact outside! This position requires the volunteer to interact with people of all ages, especially children. You will supervise an artifact by allowing the public to gently touch it and discuss what it is! The artifact can be anything from an owl skull to a turtle shell, and all artifacts / information will be provided by OBS. This will be a seasonal position needed over the weekends in the summer months.
*Please Note: Volunteers are not actively involved in helping with bird care!
After filling out the application, you will be contacted through e-mail within 2 weeks after submitting. The next step in the application process is an informal interview which should not last more than 30 minutes at the Sanctuary. The e-mail will contain details about picking a date and time for this interview.
The section is for those who wish to volunteer and are 18+. Minors and student volunteers should read and apply to the section down below.
Thank you for applying to become an Ohio Bird Sanctuary Volunteer!
Volunteering for Students and Minors
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer for the Ohio Bird Sanctuary! Volunteering as a student is a great way to give back to the community, boost resume credentials, learn about wildlife, and have fun! The Sanctuary is delighted to have you volunteer here.
This section is for volunteers who are under the age of 18 years old or is volunteering for school credit. If you are not a student or a minor, please use the application form above this section.
Please Note: Minors who wish to volunteer at the Ohio Bird Sanctuary must have a parent or guardian present while volunteering. The adult must be on Sanctuary grounds the whole duration of the volunteer shift.
After filling out the application, you will be contacted through e-mail within 2 weeks after submitting.
Thank you for applying to become an Ohio Bird Sanctuary Student Volunteer!