Exposure to nature is essential for healthy childhood development! It is also a proven therapy for Attention Deficit Disorder, Vitamin D Deficiency, childhood obesity, and depression. In addition, high-quality outdoor education has been shown to improve standardized test scores and classroom performance by developing skills in: problem-solving, critical thinking, decision-making, and creativity.
Here at the Ohio Bird Sanctuary, we pride ourselves on our exceptional educational offerings overseen by professional Life Science educators. Our staff have extensive experience with children aged Preschool through Grade 12 as well as with individuals who have special needs. We also happily cater our programming to align with topics you are covering in the classroom. Please see our field trip options below and call us to let us know how we can provide that element of outdoor enrichment for your students.
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary is a certified Wild School Site
Home School Group Field Trips
Ohio Bird Sanctuary
COVID-19 Field Trip Policy
This policy was put in place on July 30, 2020. It is subject to change based on updates given by the Governor or Ohio Department of Health.
The Ohio Bird Sanctuary will be operating all 2020-2021 Field Trips following the plan outlined below:
● Weather permitting, we will be spending the majority of the field trip time outside including the live bird presentation and lunch (if applicable). Exceptions include extreme weather events, bathroom breaks, and hand washing.
● The use of face masks for students and teachers will be decided upon by the teacher/school. Sanctuary Staff will not wear masks when outside or any time during a live bird presentation.
● Ohio Bird Sanctuary Staff trust that teachers will have checked student temperatures prior to arriving at the Ohio Bird Sanctuary. If Ohio Bird Sanctuary staff or a school teacher have reason for concern, a student’s temperature may be taken at the Sanctuary using a touchless thermometer. (Any child with a fever of 100 degrees or higher, may not come for the field trip)
● Surfaces within the Education Building will be cleaned and sanitized after each field trip.
● Hand Washing: Teachers are encouraged to have their students wash hands or use hand sanitizer after going to the bathroom, after touching animals, and prior to eating (if applicable).